Tuesday, June 29, 2010

There TRULY is No Place Like Home

I never would have guessed that camp would only be a day long. Everything was going great until the unfortunate passing of one of the girls, Sophie Barton. She had collapsed on a hike with her ward and was rushed to the hospital. This was truly a tragedy. Sophie had grown up with me in my ward and had only just changed wards when the boundaries of our stake were realigned. I can remember playing Barbies and dress ups with her when were young. She was a talented, bright and energetic girl and she was always the life of our ward activities!
Several things struck me through this event. The first was that although Sophie was young and had a very long life ahead of her, Heavenly Father has a plan for us and that sometimes we may not understand why he does the things he does. I realized that there is a reason for everything that happens in our lives.
I also realized that I need to really treasure the life I have. Life is precious and short and such a BLESSING! Her passing reminded me that I need to be a little bit kinder, nicer and more grateful for all I have. She was such a talented musician and worked so hard to share her talents with others. As I thought about that I realized I want to share my talents as much as she did and live by her example in this area.
The last main thing I realized was that there truly is no place like home. This was the theme for camp and I feel like the girls really came to know and grasp this theme. As soon as I heard the news I was wishing I was home with my family wanting to hold them, tell them I love them and have them share the pain. That night as we all arrived home we all ran to our families for comfort. This theme also became meaningful on an eternal side. Sophie was able to return to her Heavenly Father's home and gain an extensive knowledge of the gospel. Someday Sophie will be able to be with her family in this place because of the covenants her parents have made. I am just grateful for my eternal family and that I get to be with them forever! It is nice to know that I will have support here on earth and all through eternity!

No comments: